Tuesday, November 11, 2008

New Media Book List, Thesis Titles, and Montana

I bought my plane ticket today. I do my defense in Bozeman on December 15th. I better get writing! But I have to decide on a thesis first. I need a thesis that encompasses new media, outreach, science, interactivity, documentary, the making of my zebra film, video games, and children's education. Here's a few thesis titles I have come up with:

1. "From Broadcast to Podcast: The Evolution of New Media and Documentary"

2. "New Media: Is it a new technology? Is it a new mode? Or is it the future of documentary?"

3. "Moving Beyond Broadcast, Making Outreach and Interactivity Core to Nonfiction Filmmaking"

4. "What's black and white, and interactive all over? A new media film on zebras."

5. "Moving Beyond Broadcast: Making a Children's Film for the New Media Landscape"

I am leaning towards 3 or 5.

A few books arrived today from the Amazon fairy. Hopefully they will help me hone in my thesis.

Children's Learning From Education: Sesame Street and Beyond

Good Video Games plus Good Learning

Education: The Emperor's New Clothes

The Unfinished Quest: The Plight of Progressive Science Education in the Age of Standards

Free-Choice Science Education: How We Learn Outside of School

Children, Adolescents, and the Media


Unfortunately, the more I read, the more I end up having to revise my thesis topic because I want to include yet another seemingly non-related item.

4 comments:

Cephalopodcast said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cephalopodcast said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cephalopodcast said...

Wow, Blogger fubarred my first attempt at commenting.

Anyway, wish your library had visiting hours. Those look like some good reads to add to my wishlist.

Hannah Smith Walker said...

I will be posting my full thesis bibliography soon. Let me know if any subjects in particular are of interest. Cheers!