Sunday, August 3, 2008

Sunday

On Friday, I borrowed a bunch of equipment from a friend from work. He set me up with green screen cloth, lights, stands, clamps, and a gobo arm. It was a bit of an overkill for my small toys. But the lighting gear should provide the even light I need to pull a good key. I was hoping to have all the green screening done this weekend...but it didn't happen.

Yesterday was a no go, but today I managed to find the motivation to move my furniture around, set up all the lights, lay out the green screen fabric, and get the camera ready. Unfortunately, I was missing one key piece of equipment...a cable release. All that effort for nothing. Just pushing the shutter button added a slight motion blur and changed each shot slightly, so the stop motion looked terrible.
I ended up calling my dad. He also has a digital Canon SLR. He loaned me his macro lens last time I came to visit, and now he is going to loan me his cable release. I will make sure he gets a big special thanks in the film! I am lucky to have two parents who are photographers. Even my step-mom is picking up the photo bug...especially since she has a new grand baby to photograph.

I was a little bummed that the green screen effort didn't pay off, but my cat, Lolly helped cheer me up. She let me harass her with my camera. I took a bunch of weird angle shots of her under my hammock. Some came out pretty cool. This is the longest time she has let me photograph her since I used her for my senior photography project at Evergreen about 7 years ago. Usually, I only get a few shots off before she gets annoyed and leaves. So it was nice of her to put up with me today.

Mark pretty much entertained himself today, with his new gi-normous chop saw.

No comments: