Monday, August 18, 2008

Pebble Beach Car Shot Shoot

Well, I didn't get any of the greenscreening done this weekend. You see, a friend of mine made me an offer I couldn't refuse. He asked me to AC and do sound for him at a car show. He had a client that needed a crew last minute, so needless to say...the day rate was very good. Oh, and a quick disclaimer...I didn't have my real camera with me, so all these pictures are were taken with my iPhone. I am not much for car shows or cars in general. I usually only think of cars as tools to get you from A to B. But these people loved their cars probably more than anything else on the planet. They were selling anywhere from $100,000 to $8 million. Most were very old, extremely rare, and expertly restored. This was not a car show for the average Jo. Only people who could afford the $250 ticket could get in. Plus you had to be a bidder to be invited to the auctions. We were hired by a man named Simon Kidston. He is an antique car collector/dealer/expert/auctioneer. He owns a company in Switzerland that helps the elite make wise choices when it comes to buying fine collectible cars. He bid 4 million dollars for one of his clients our first night. But someone ended up outbidding his client. I can't imagine what Simon's commission would have been.

Most of the show took place at Pebble Beach, so it was quite a site to see so many beautiful cars lined up all over the green. There were a few stars there as well...Jay Leno, Jerry Sienfeld, Stirling Moss (famous race car driver from the 40's and 50's), and Leslie Keno (one of the furniture expert twins from Antique Roadshow). There was one more star that I recognized, but couldn't figure out who he was. It was driving me crazy. But I just looked him up...his name is Edward Herrmann. He's been in lots of shows and movies. He's usually a co-star. I remember him best as the drunk, rich husband in "Overboard".

(I didn't take the picture of Edward Hermann and Jay Leno is in the photo with the blue car)

On the second day, I came down with a bad cold with fever, but I had to suck it up. The shoot itself wasn't that difficult, but the shoot days were very long (14 hour days). Fortunately, the client was nice so that made it easier. I am still not entirely sure what he is using the video for. I think it's for marketing and maybe for his company's website. I found one video he did on his website. Go to: http://www.kidston.com/kidston-movies/kidston-sa-video-presentation

Here's the winner of 2008 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance

No comments: