Friday, October 10, 2008

MicroDocs and Comps

Wow time flies. Mark met his deadline of getting the MicroDoc website live. Go to: http://www.stanford.edu/group/microdocs/ and explore the world of corals. As for me, the week of my comps has arrived. I will be studying like mad woman this week. I have taken off from Sea Studios so I can focus. I will get three theory questions on Friday. I have until Monday to answer them in the most verbose way as possible. I will have to reference who knows how many of the 50 books, 50 articles, and 50 documentaries.

I am looking forward to getting to watch something entertaining again. In the last couple weeks I have watched:

Primary (one of first films with portable sync sound about JFK and Hubert Humphrey's Primary)
-Why we Fight (propaganda film about Russia)
-3 Errol Morris films (one about a pet cemetery, one about bumpkins in Florida, and one about a man possibly being falsely accused of murder)
-2 films on Bob Dillon
-9/11 (shot from inside the towers)
-Man with a Movie Camera (experimental film commenting on true cinema)
-Silverlake Life (a film about two men dying of aids)
-4 Mark Lewis films (one on rat natural history and the other three on cow, cat, and ferret breeders)
-Ghosts of the Abyss (Titanic documentary)
-Microcosmos (macro cinematography of bugs)
-Winky Dink and You (first interactive TV show)
-This is Spinal Tap (mockumentary on a fake band)
-Battle of Algiers (fiction film based on the Algerian Independence shot documentary style)
-Sweetback's Baaad Assss Song (not sure why I had to watch this. It was a fiction film about a black man in the sex industry who shot a cop and was hunted by the man. Apparently, it was the first 'blaxploitation' film. It was made and distributed with wide success without the help of white Hollywood. You tell me, what does this have to do with science and natural history filmmaking?)
-Animlas: Friend of Food (film about an idealist new farmer who wants to raise, love, kill, and eat his animals. He kills a bunny, lamb, and pig. But he can't bring himself to kill the cow. So he decides that he can't give up meat, but he cannot personally kill the animals either. So he sends the cow to the slaughter house.)
-Hearts and Minds (documentary on the Vietnam War)

No comments: