Saturday, September 20, 2008

Web 2.0 Experience


Well I just finished a week of wall to wall technology sessions. Much of it was way over my head. But I was able to gleam a lot of useful information. I also led a group talk on interactivity and education. And one of people that came for the talk started a wiki for all of us to add to in the coming months. Here's a link to the wiki: kidslearning2.0 Wiki

I am pretty exhausted. I don't recommend staying in a hostel dorm with 5 other people if you are expected to stay awake through hours of talks on different coding technologies like Java, CSS, and APEX.

I wrote out a quick list of some of the things I learned. I need to add to it when I have some of my mental capacities back.

1. video games are happening in the browser...soon won't need to download or buy console games
- Instant Action
- Maple Story
- Club Penguin
- webkinz
- sodaplay
2. forget about downloading, there's technology to edit online
- jumpcut
- adobe premiere express
3. make podclasstv a game with a clear objective
- make it so kids get to show how clever they are
- make it so they can "level up"
4. Web 2.0 is way over my head
5. there are multiple layers of coding/systems that go into creating webpages
a. html, java, ajex, c++, actionscripts, sdk, linux, perl, css, api’s, open source
6. I might be able to learn Flash action scripts without getting a degree in programming, but should probably start with html
7. Good New Media content providers
- revision3
- nextnewnetworks
- collegehumor
8. cloud computing is the future
9. Korea has great broadband infrastructure but America's is terrible
10. the Maori are getting a piece of the New Zealand spectrum
11. the spectrum in the US will probably free up once TV’s go digital
12. video needs massive amounts of bandwidth
13. iphone doesn’t do flash
14. Ubiquitous is the word of the day at Web2.0
15. Mark is a "content strategist"
16. people are making scaled down websites to work on mobile phones
17. TechCrunch
18. technology-user bell curve starts with "technophiles" and "early adopters"
19. never stay in a hostel

No comments: